Thursday 21 February 2013

Whilst I sleep

As explained briefly previously, I found some scientific studies which explore the relationships between sleep and emotion and I was interested in exploring the absence or presence of emotions when sleeping and display these along side the self portraits which showcase the socially recognised physical displays of emotion through human facial expression.

I have set my camera up on a tripod with a timer and remote shutter release for three nights in total now. Each one has provided me with vital elements to alter in order to improve the overall quality of my final images.
I soon realised wearing clothes (as with the self portraits) had too much of an implication on the image and took away from the facial expression, which is the key element of the image.
On the first night I actually covered my face with the blanket. I think this was my subconscious awareness that I was been photographed, however could consider including one as the hiding of the face is an emotional display in itself.

I have also decided to change my bedding to one as plain as possible as again the pattern and colours effect the reading of the image and potential alter the mood and emotion is attempts to portray. I aim to use plain white sheets to ensure no interference occurs but also to mimic the minimal style of the self portraits.

For each image I did two edits, one in black and white, and one in colour.



















No comments:

Post a Comment